Saturday, March 8, 2014

I'm hungry... for Project Quilting Challenge 5

It's been a busy week over here, and I am supposed to be getting ready for the LMNOP Consignment Sale coming up next weekend, but instead I'm procrastinating by sewing, blogging, and watching Primeval. I sort of love this show, though I don't understand why all these BBC shows insist on killing of characters that I love.

Anyway, that's not important.  This last week I reached my 100th item in my stash busting challenge - which I will show you on Monday or Tuesday, since it was a tester... a tester for ME - crazy right?  Don't worry, I'll crop my ugly mug out of the photos, so that you can just enjoy the shirt. 

Then I decided to take a break from my regularly scheduled sewing to do my Project Quilting challenge for this week.  The theme with week was Grocery Shopping  - we were to pick three items from the store as inspiration for our project this week.  And man, did this challenge throw me.  I'm not really sure why, I think because I've been working on better eating habits, that the last thing I wanted to do was go drool over other food that I can't eat.  So during another morning of yogurt with my coffee, I realized what I really wanted:  Bacon, eggs, and as usual, a cup of coffee. 

So into the stash I dove.  I know I reached my 100 items, but I am waiting on my friend Kim to catch up so we can do a little splurging and start the process all over again.  Man, I'm a glutton for punishment.  I found this, what I will refer to as, ugly plate fabric in my stash and all of a sudden I knew exactly what I wanted to do.
Check out the insane scale on this print?
 I added a border once I cut out a plate and cup together.  Then I set to work making my bacon - two different color reds from the Modern Solids line from In the beginning fabrics.  And then my eggs (can you believe I have no solid white fabric?), so I used an off-white I had, and added a mottled yellow for the yolk.  Then I appliqued both onto the plate:
I'm actually really happy with how these came out.

Then I added some brown fabric to the cup for the coffee, sandwiched with a random farm print  that I thought brought it all together (cows=milk for my coffee, pigs = bacon, and chickens give eggs?), and then it was time to FMQ.  Have I told you how much this part stresses me out?  But I even picked 3 pretty threads to make it all match!





And in typical me fashion, I decided to spice it up with some swirls and words:





I think it came out pretty cute, actually.  And then, because I didn't want to cover my cute border with a wide bias, I did a narrower width bias tape, and added two cute ribbons that fit the theme, and now it is proudly hanging on my wall!

Ta-da!
So there we go, I think I'm getting a little better at this quilting thing ;)  Keep watching over at Persimon Dreams for the weekly voting update that will go up after all submissions are sent in tomorrow!

Oh, and don't forget to change your clocks forward an hour for Daylight Savings!

4 comments:

  1. One of the more awesome things you've done I liked n ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome! (even if you totally called me out for not being at 100 items yet!) ;-)

    Jimmy says: mmmmmmm..... bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! And love that it's already in use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. fantastic! I LOVE bacon! seriously - so good :) Great creation!

    ReplyDelete