Friday, April 4, 2014

Pattern Review: The Dahlia Top by Golden Rippy

So in browsing around sewing pages I saw this tester call and jumped on it...  Knit top... cool embellishment... Sounds like a win....  The pattern comes from Rachel of Golden Rippy who is venturing out from her gorgeous knit and crochet work and awesome blog into pattern design, and I am really glad she has.

The details:
Made for knits
Sizes 12mo to 12 years
Optional flower embellishment


The sleeves on the Dahlia are build right into the bodice, so not having to fuss with armholes makes this pattern even more beginner friendly.  The shirt is cuffed at the bottom and sleeves, and has a neck binding. 


The instructions are clear and easy to follow, and though I am not a huge fan of graphics instead of pictures, I found that her graphics layout was extremely clear and easy to follow.  There was no confusion along the way, and there are graphics to go with each step, so you won't get lost along the way!






The shirt takes maybe 45 minutes including pattern taping, cutting and sewing.  If you choose to do the flower embellishment, that will add a few minutes on. 


I have one note on the flower ... The first shirt made (see Connor modeling below), I pinned the flower on, and I found that it sort of made the fabric sag a little (I used some REALLY lightweight knit on that first one), and I wanted to make sure that the flower wouldn't distort the shape of the shirt, so here's what I did with the one I sewed on:

When I sewed the flower on, I sewed through the button I put on the middle of the flower and sewed through a small button on the inside of the shirt as well.  This supports the weight of the flower without pulling on the shirt fabric. 

In the end, I loved this shirt enough to make my muslin, the Super-girl version, and one from this great D&G print that just screams INARA!

I'm not sure if she is posing here, or really just "Not Listening."

And, just to make everyone grin... it has been way too long since I've made something for Connor, and I think he is getting a little jealous, so he claimed the muslin to sleep in...  He's such a funny little guy...


So if you're still with me, here is the BEST part of this post... the pattern.... doesn't "release" until Monday.... but SHHHHHH  you might be able to find it in her shop for sale right now at a super secret squirrel introductory price.   (But I didn't tell you)

On the serious note, I see a lot more of these in our future, with and without flowers.  Inara loves them and before I know it, she'll be into a size 6 and I'll have to make her all new clothes *sigh*


3 comments:

  1. There's no like button... So...
    Like (klick) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really cute top! Too bad I don't have anyone to sew for.

    ReplyDelete