Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Muse of the Morning Pattern Review Tour

When Chrissy from Muse of the Morning posted that she was looking for bloggers to review her patterns, I jumped on it.  I really enjoy reading her cool tutorials on her blog, so I was excited to check out a new designer. (Well, new to me, not new to designing!).  *Disclaimer, I was provided the pattern for free to write this review, but all opinions are my own!



Pattern I chose: Billy Bright Eyes Snappy Tee

Snappy Tee from Muse of the Morning by Keep Calm and Carrion

The details: 
Available in sizes 3mo through 6yrs
Three sleeve options: long, short, and cuffed

Notions needs: snaps and a double needle is helpful

Sewing time: Each one took me about 45 minutes to sew.

Snappy Tee from Muse of the Morning by Keep Calm and Carrion
I started with one for Connor (size 18mo), and went with the ringer sleeves.  I used a cotton-lycra for the shirt (yummy custom from So Cheeky fabric), and a white ribbing for the neck binding and sleeve cuffs.  Connor totally loves ninja turtles, so he was super excited for this... and look at my dorky snap idea:
One for each turtle!

So, important note here...  Chrissy very clearly says how to cut the pieces so your snaps end up on the right side of the shirt... for some reason, if you're me, you read those instructions and then cut both shirts with the pattern pieces face up on the wrong side of the fabric.  The plus side?  I can now tell all of you that as long as you cut both pieces with the pattern pieces right side up and cut them on the same side of the fabric, it will still work out.

Snappy Tee from Muse of the Morning by Keep Calm and Carrion
You want me to pose??!?!  With HER???
Is it just my kids who refuse to be cooperative in photos together?  At any given time at least one of them is upset.  I was going to just make the top for Connor, but when I saw it went up into Inara's size (size 5), I decided to try it out for her as well. Of course she chose her own fabrics - she's currently really into Adventure Time, so we cut into another yummy custom (from The Fabric Igloo), and despite my suggesting pink, she chose the blue ribbing for the neck.  I did the regular short sleeves on hers as well.  Here is the only step I changed on the pattern - I decided that since Inara's sleeve holes would be decent sized, I would prefer to hem them after stitching them closed.  I think that for the tiny baby sizes, you'd be better off following the pattern as written!


Snappy Tee from Muse of The Morning by Keep Calm and Carrion


Thoughts on the pattern... I was kind of surprised that I liked the idea of snaps up in Inara's size, but she thought it was cool that she got to customize her shirt with the snap detail.  The length of the size 5 was a little long for Inara. I cut off 3" and hemmed as written.  In retrospect, I wish I had left that 3" on and stuck leggings on with it, so it was a cute tunic.  (Sometimes the good ideas come too late). 

The 18mo on Connor fits nicely too.  There is a little room to grow without it being too big.    Takeaway?  The size chart is really spot on.  It says to follow go off of chest measurement and you can adjust length if needed.  This was wise advice, and I now have two perfectly fitting tees for my kids.

Snappy Tee from Muse of The Morning by Keep Calm and Carrion

Can you see the little tag on the shirt?? That's my new thing to help the two small ones get their clothes on the right direction.  I don't put tags in their clothes usually, so sometimes they end up with shirts on backwards.... I add the little tag to the bottom front so they know that side goes on the front.  Sometimes it helps.  On a more entertaining note, she's scolding him for modelling wrong.  His response? NO!

Snappy Tee from Muse of The Morning by Keep Calm and Carrion

It's 65 and sunny out... clearly we need the umbrella prop.  I really enjoyed making these tees.  The pattern was easy to follow, with clear instructions along the way.  The pattern pieces all printed with no issues, and went together perfectly.  The sleeve options make it great for all year, and since it goes down so small I can use it for bubby gifts and my kiddos.


Now for the fun stuff...

First, go check out theFirst Day of the Tour so you can enter the AMAZING giveaway, and then scroll around the blog to check out all the other reviews.

When you decide that you're impatient like me, hop on over to the Muse of the Morning Pattern Shop, and pick up all the cute patterns -- you won't be disappointed! AND as an incentive to pick up all the ones you want... use the code BLOGTOUR30 for 30% off your purchase until the 17th of May!

Thank you for stopping by!  And thank you to Chrissy for introducing me to her lovely patterns.  Don't forget to check out all the other reviews. 


7 comments:

  1. Hi Alyssa,
    Thank you for reviewing my pattern! Your versions look great and I love the snap colors for each Ninja Turtle! I'm glad you liked the pattern!
    Thank you for joining the tour!
    Chrissy @ museofthemorning.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for allowing me to participate! I've got a tiny snappy all cut out for a gift already!

      Delete
  2. Very cute!!! And yay for tags to help them get their clothes on right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute and love the snap idea! Your Kids always crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute tops! I'd love for you to link this up with Tuesday Sews over at PiePie Designs. http://www.piepiedesigns.com/2014/05/tuesday-sews-giveaway-may-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sew loving the interaction of your kids and the photoshoot. So normal, and so funny!

    ReplyDelete