Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Designer Talk: Dandelions n' Dungarees

I've decided to try something new, and once a week I am going to chat a bit about designers whose patterns I find myself going back to more than once...  And, because they are so fresh in my mind, first on my list is Dandelions n' Dungarees.

The design team behind the name totally enchants me... April (mom) and Elise (daughter) are amazing.  I love my mom and all, but I can't even imagine working with her!! I did that in high-school, and she fired me more than once.  These two though, totally encourage each other and keep each other focused, and some how they keep coming out with these beautiful patterns that each have their own flare to them.  Elise is kind of a night-owl, so when we're both up late I make her ridiculous memes to keep everyone motivated...




The first pattern I sewed from DnD (as I will now be abbreviating it as), was the Old Tyme Baseball Shirt, which is available in three size groups (Baby, Child, and Tween), so if you buy the bundle, you can totally outfit all of the kiddos.  Connor loves Curious George, and I had a couple small pieces of fabric left after making a birthday gift, and it was just enough to make him this awesome top. 
Old Tyme Baseball Shirt from Dandelions and Dungarees by Keep Calm and CarrionOld Tyme BaseNall Shirt  from Dandelions and Dungarees by Keep Calm and Carrion

Then came the Retro Frock (available in sizes 2T-10).  Testing this pattern with Elise gave me a new appreciation for what designers do.  I have no idea whatsoever how drafting patterns works, but when it wasn't working the way she was envisioning it, she stuck with it and we ended up with this totally awesome patterns (pockets, can we talk about how much I love pockets???)

Retro Frock  from Dandelions and Dungarees by Keep Calm and CarrionRetro Frock from Dandelions and Dungarees by Keep Calm and Carrion

I love the ruffled sleeve option on this one, and am definitely adding in on to my "back to school" sewing list.

And, in case you didn't know, DnD has what may be the most fantastically vintage swimsuit pattern available... The Vintage Bikini.   I was REALLY nervous about testing this one, because, well after two kids, I'm definitely not bikini material, right?  And I don't have a ton of experience sewing with swimsuit fabric, but I followed very carefully along the instructions, and I am totally in love with this pattern...  I *may* wander around my house in this, just because I can... 

Vintage Bikini Top from Dandelions and Dungarees by Keep Calm and Carrion

Then there are the Baby Girl Bottoms, which is one of the most versatile patterns I've seen.  It runs sizes NB-24mo, and has 2 skirt options, bloomers, pants, shorts (all with two waist options and cuff options), and a diaper cover.  Really, all the bottoms you need for your tiny angel, all in one.  I don't have a tiny girl anymore, but I borrowed one just to make the shirred front skirt and diaper cover... and a pair of pants
Baby Girl Bottoms from Dandelions and Dungarees by Keep Calm and CarrionBaby Girl Bottoms from Dandelions and Dungarees by Keep Calm and Carrion

Connor was VERY concerned with making sure that Baby Katie was okay.  How adorable are these??? The diaper cover can be standalone, like I did, or it can be done attached.

I even made a little skirt for Katie's big sister too! 
Baby Girl Bottoms from Dandelions and Dungarees by Keep Calm and Carrion

And most recently... <swoon>  The Ruffle Whimsy Tunic and Dress.  If you didn't know, making ruffles is not really my favorite thing... but man do they totally make this look fabulous.  I picked the tunic, because I have grand plans to make the Perfectly Pleated Pants to go with these for a stellar outfit.  I just need to find the time!

Ruffled Whimsy Tunic from Dandelions and Dungarees by Keep Calm and Carrion
 Of course Inara had to choose her own fabric and out came the My Little Pony Print.  Then, miraculously, she said "mom, just make the ruffles pretty colors," and ran off to play.  So I got to pick the ruffles...  I decided on a pink variegated thread to do a rolled hem on them, just to make them a little more girly (like it wasn't girly enough??) and  I am totally thrilled with the result.
Ruffle Whimsy Tunic from Dandelions and Dungarees by Keep Calm and Carrion

That just leaves the Perfectly Pleated Pants for me to sew up, the Vintage Bikini Bottoms (give me like 15 more lbs, and I'll let you know how those go!), and the Classic Ruffle Dress I am going to pick up for my back to school list as well... So then I will have all the DnD patterns, lol.  I have a lot of patterns, from a lot of designers (if you haven't noticed), but there is something that just draws me to the classic look of all of these patterns.  I've seen some sneaks into what's coming up too, and you'll LOVE the classic feel!!

If you're still on the fence, come join the Dandelions n' Dungarees Facebook group and see all of the gorgeous creations people are making with these patterns.  You definitely want to try them out!

4 comments:

  1. My fave is still the classic ruffle dress. I need to another one for my girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love DnD and both April and Elise. Such nice people. Love their patterns. My latest fave is the baby girl bottoms. HOPING they're going to grow into bigger sizes to fit my bigger grands. These two are so helpful and their pattern ideas are great watching come to life! Great blog, Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, I'm pretty sure that IS the fabric I'm looking for... And this is a great idea Alyssa!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it wasn't before, it's definitely the fabric you need now LOL

    ReplyDelete