Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Pattern Review: Holly and Ivy Dress from GYCT

This last week I tested a very pretty holiday dress for Inara and I am really excited to show it off.

Meet the Holly and Ivy Party Dress from the very talented Chelsea at GYCT Designs.  

This dress has A TON of options.. so let me lay them out first...
Sizes: 3 months through 12 years
3 Necklines: round, square, and sweetheart
3 Sleeve styles: sleeveless, short, and long
2 lengths: knee and mid-calf
Back button closures
Optional over-skirt instructions


Inara is wearing a size 6, sweetheart neckline, knee length, sleeveless, with snap closures.  And she loves it.  

My mom sent me the pretty skirt fabric from their last trip to Peru.  It's like a (faux?) silk taffeta with the lace overlay on it.  It was just so pretty and such a nice weight and I've been staring at it for ages. When I got selected for this test I knew I was going to use it, but all I had on hand was some cheapie costume satin, and I was a bit worried that it would fray and that it was too shiny and really too light weight overall.  So I ran over to Joann's and picked up some Black Bridal Satin and some Lining Fabric.  Then after I got the bodice together I was sort of disappointed with myself.. it was too blah... so before sewing the underarms, I went back and embroidered the flower onto the bodice.  


Once we got the skirt gathered and on, Inara and I had the following discussion.. Buttons or snaps? Let me try it on.  Okay....  Buttons or snaps?  Hold on, let me look at the buttons.  Okay... Buttons or snaps?  Wait mom, Can I wear a shirt under it when it gets cold?  Yes, buttons or snaps?  Ummm... snaps, definitely snaps..buttons are itchy.  <and off she ran>


So I left the snaps a little farther out than I normally would, since it is winter here, and she does love the dress, I want her to be able to wear something under it if she wants, though knowing her, I'll end up having to make something to go over it.  

AND... I don't have the opportunity to make this in tiny sizes much... so I just have to show you the tiny size 3mo I made to send off to my friend Geoff for his gorgeous little one (really, I should pack these things up, this pile is getting out of hand, but I don't get to sew for tiny littles much....)

I'm hoping it'll fit her around Christmas time, but if not, I can always make another ;)  I have this print in blue/silver as well, but it was just so elegant with the reds and pop of gold.  

And since I didn't have a tiny model to show it off... Hello Kitty has been making a good stand in for tiny baby.

The three month is sweetheart neckline, sleeveless (maybe I should send a bolero too?), and mid-calf length.




The pattern is well written and easy to follow along.  The fit was right in line with the chart and after all the feedback came in, Chelsea did her magical tweaking to make it look perfect.  The pattern pieces are clearly labeled and easy to piece.  The skirt pieces are rectangles, so there is a chart for them.  From printing to hemming, the dress took me about 2 - 2 1/2 hours.  Which for some perfectly gorgeous party dresses for the season, I think is time well spent!

So the pattern is available on Etsy or Craftsy.  And is on sale for $5.95 until Sunday the 9th. You definitely should grab it while it's on sale, and start picking your fabric, because....
Join the GYCT Designs Facebook Group so you are ready for the sew-along!


1 comment:

  1. It really is so pretty! Love how it turned out. And Hello Kitty too. Thanks for testing for me!

    ReplyDelete